Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Day In The Life Of A Feedyard Cowboy

When someone asks me if I'm a morning person or a night person, my answer is always sure and true. I am a morning person. That being said, I do have a tendency to staying up too late and hitting the snooze a few more times than I would like. But on the ideal morning, my alarm goes off at 6 am, and my feet are hitting the floor moments later. I love the early morning, the sun just itching to sneak up from the east, a cup of fresh hot coffee, and some bacon and eggs while watching the morning news. I enjoy to step outside while most people are in their beds asleep, it's quiet.

Now regardless of whether it's a morning person day or a hitting the snooze button day, I have work at 8:30 which means I am out of the house at 8:15. In time to stop in at the town's coffee shop/gas station/hardware store/grocery store/gift shoppe, for a cup of coffee. I usually end up talking to someone for five minutes while we both try to get motivated enough to head out for a full day's work. Once we're motivated, I get back in my truck and head to work while listening to some AM radio, which varies between local farm talk, to political talk, to sports talk. In the morning I am usually not tuned in for music, but something interesting to get my mind going.

When I get to work, I will find my boss in the tractor beginning the morning chores, which include feeding the cows and then checking pens for sick animals. When I pull in, he gives me the tractor to finish feeding while he begins checking pens. Now it is important to note one of my morning routines; when I get to work, I take note to my bosses tone and body language to gauge what type of mood I will be working with that particular day. If he gets out of the tractor and says 'Mornin' with a smile, it's going to be a good day, if he gets out and says 'Mornin' and then begins to list what needs to be done for the day, it's going to be a normal day, however, if he gets out and just starts listing off what has to be done, or worse yet, just leaves... it's going to be a long day.

After chores, the day can vary. There is always something that has to be done, but it changes day to day, which is one thing I like about my job. One morning I might be vaccinating a new load of cattle, another we might be loading them out to head down the road (the packing plant) and another day I might be sitting in a tractor cleaning pens. But what ever the task, it usually is the task that I will be doing until it comes time for evening chores, which is the second feeding. 2 hours of talk radio while feeding each pen it's designated ration for the evening. Normally, around 5:30 pm, I am done for the day and am heading home for supper.

Once home, I normally make some dinner and turn on the TV for a little rest and relaxation. My life is rather uneventful with the lack of a significant other. So I eat my supper in my recliner alone, find something interesting on the television for a couple of hours. Then usually a phone call or two before I talk myself into a quick run. This is a new found routine, running has never been something I found all that enjoyable, but it's becoming more and more tolerable the more I do it. I run a mile down the gravel road, and then the mile back. When I get back, I sit for another half an hour before I see it's past my bedtime and then I'm off for another 8 hours of sleep.

I would love to make it sound more exciting, but other than an ornery heifer now and again, it remains rather uneventful. But it's in the country, I work with cattle, I get to drive heavy equipment and I'm outside... how could I complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment